The Liberec ZOO
The zoological gardens in Liberec are the oldest attraction of their kind in the former Czechoslovakia. After its founding in 1919 the zoo went on to become an internationally recognized breeding facility. Since the 1960s the Liberec ZOO has drawn over 300,000 (sometimes over 400,000) visitors annually.
Founded over 110 years ago, the Liberec Botanical Gardens are the oldest in the Czech Republic. The gardens strive to be a truly prestigious institution serving as a centre of professional expertise and a facility inspiring landscaping creativity. The Liberec Botanical Gardens nurture the most varied collection of exotic plants in the Czech Republic.
Sports complex Ještěd
The Ještěd Ski Resort is an entirely modernized facility. In addition to new lifts, the resort also offers a new refreshment stand, first-rate equipment rentals, service and a ski school for children and adults. www.skijested.cz
Liberec Town Hall
Designed by Franz von Neumann and built by the firm of Sachers and Gärtner in 1888-1893, the Neo-Renaissance Town Hall has been a symbol of the city for over a century. Tours are offered by the Liberec Information Centre.
At 1,012 m high and crowned by a remarkable television transmitter and hotel (1966-1973), Mt. Ještěd towers over Liberec. Designer Karl Hubáček was awarded the prestigious Perret Prize in 1969. The mountain peak, reached by foot or cableway, offers stunning views. The slopes offer ideal sports conditions in winter and summer alike.
Regional Art Gallery
The gallery became an independent institution after the Second World War and gained acclaim in the 1960s under the leadership of Hana Seifertová (especially for the legendary Sculpture and City exhibition in 1969). On 1 October 2001 the gallery became the Liberec Region's main art museum.
The original sports facility has been reshaped as a recreation-recreation centre offering all services connected with swimming pool operations. The greatest attraction is a 150 metre-long, stainless steel toboggan slide.
Observation tower in Lidové sady
The 35 metre-high dominant feature of the Lidové sady monument site has 155 stairs and was in use between 1901 and the mid-1950s, when it was closed for safety concerns. The tower was completely rebuilt in May 1998 according to the project by František Čejka and is again open to the public (year-round, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm daily).
Regional Research Library
The foundation stone laying ceremony for the "Reconciliation Project" was held on 16 December 1997 at the site of the former Liberec synagogue burned by the Germans. Built under the auspices of the presidents of the Czech Republic and Germany, the new building houses the Liberec State Research Library and a Jewish chapel.
Museum of North Bohemia
Founded in 1873 as a museum of decorative arts, the Museum of North Bohemia in Liberec is the oldest and one of the largest of its kind in the country. The museum offers around 20 exhibitions per year, many of which are put together from the museum's own collections.
Bedřichov Ski Resort
Bedřichov is one of the leading winter and summer tourist resorts in the Jizerské Mts.; thanks to a tranquil setting it is also excellent for family recreation. The resort is easily reached by public transport from Jablonec nad Nisou and Liberec.
Harrachov Ski Resort on Čertova Mt.
In addition to ski jumping, Čertova Mt. also offers a chairlift and several downhill trails. Additional lifts (including a new chairlift) and trails are on the northeastern slope above Rýžoviště. A groomed, 50 km cross country trail runs past Harrachov; the trail is annually expanded.
Tanvaldský Špičák Ski Resort
The Špičák resort is situated on the slopes of a peak with the same name above the town of Albrechtice in the Jizerské Mts. It is one of the best-equipped ski centres in this mountain range. An observation tower and lodge are located at the top of the mountain.
Liberec Vratislavice Car Museum
A new car museum was opened in 2003 at the Konrad Brewery in Vratislavice nad Nisou, a mere kilometre from the family home of Ferdinand Porsche. The museum is open on Sundays from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm, in December, January and February only for larger groups with advance reservations.